If you are new to vegetable gardening, one of the big decisions you will need to make is whether to buy seeds or plants and where to buy them. You can buy plants locally at your neighborhood walmart, garden center or home center. If you are buying seeds, you might want to check out some of the seed companies. They offer more variety and different quantities.
10 Places to buy Seeds
- Eden Brothers is located in Dahlonega, GA and offers vegetable, flower and heirloom seeds. They also offer both small packets and bulk seed.
- Organica Seed offers heirloom seed that is organically preserved and untreated by chemicals. It might not be as user friendly as some of the big companies but if you know what you are looking for and value organic, it’s a great place to shop.
- Burpee Seeds No list would be complete without Burpee. They are probably the most recognized name in seeds of all types. The website offers an endless list of vegetable, fruit and flower seed as well as all kinds of garden gadgets.
- Park Seed is another well known seed company. They offer everything from seed starting kits to vegetable and flower seeds.
- Gurney’s Seed is another large company with a huge variety of seed offerings.
- Johnny’s Seed is located in Maine and offers a selection of heirloom vegetables to medicinal herbs. It’s not as flashy as some of the more commercial companies but it’s nice to work with a smaller company at times.
- Harris Seed offers a great selection of organic seed. They also offer tips for new gardeners, seed starting, ect.
- Henry Fields Seed and Nursery offers seeds, shrubbery and other trees and bushes. Great choice if you have room for some fruit trees or berry bushes.
- Seeds of Change is a company with an eye on changing the world. They offer some really cool kits to get you started.
- Main Street offers bulk purchases and if you are going to garden in a big way, it might be worth your time to check them out.